This is the perfect dish to make on the weekend to ensure you have plenty of leftovers for your week ahead. The chicken is very flavorful and moist. I love the roasted oranges in this recipe and enjoy squeezing them onto the chicken and sweet potatoes before eating. Your house will smell wonderful!
I love one pan meals because they save time and eliminate a pile of dishes to clean. I have prepped this meal in the morning and placed it into the oven in the afternoon and it has worked great. Let me know what you think if you try this out in your kitchen.
- 3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 sweet potatoes, quartered
- 4 apples, seeded and quartered
- 2 chickens (4 to 5 pounds each), giblets removed, rinsed and dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 1 garlic bulb, peeled and cloves pressed
- Several sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place chickens over vegetables in 12-by-18 inch roasting pan; sprinkle cavities with salt and pepper. Fill each cavity with onion, lemon, and fresh rosemary or thyme.
- Carefully lift skin and separate from chicken breast and rub pressed garlic under the skin of both chickens.
- Arrange sweet potatoes, oranges, and apples around chickens.
- Spread coconut oil over chickens; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until the skin is deep golden and crisp and the juices run clear when the skin is pierced, about 1 1/2 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the breast should read 180 degrees. Remove from oven, let sit for 15-30 minutes before serving.